We operate under extensive safety precautions. We have developed a program that is as safe, secure, meaningful & fun as possible.
- The government of Israel is devoted to the safety & security of visitors and citizens alike. Birthright Israel and Shorashim are in constant contact with the appropriate Israeli security/public safety authorities.
- Our program is approved daily with the "situation room" administered by the Israeli Ministry of Education, Military, & Police. They issue specific guidelines as to where it is safe to travel & the best routes to use.
- Changes in itinerary are made immediately if necessary (weather or security related).
- Professional security escorts & a medic accompany the group at all times.
- Birthright Israel has signed special contracts with the airlines carrying participants as part of this program to ensure a heightened level of security.
- Airline security for international travel is stricter than for domestic flights, & has been heightened after September 11. Israeli airline security is widely considered the best in the world.
- Public transportation is not allowed.
- Groups travel with cellular phones & can be reached 24 hours a day.
- A chartered bus with one bus driver remains with the group for the entire trip. Our drivers never leave their buses unattended or unlocked.
- All participants have a security orientation upon arrival in Israel, which includes extensive travel safety tips & free time guidelines.
- Participants will have time to shop & relax, but free time will only be permitted at structured, supervised times and locations.
- A 24-hour emergency number in Israel to use in the event of a family emergency or crisis at home will be sent to participants along with trip itineraries.
- Parents, friends, & relatives can always contact our U.S. or Israel office for any matter.
- Both of our offices will be in regular contact with trip staff in Israel.
- All participants are responsible for having insurance while in Israel
- Shorashim offers limited secondary medical insurance from an Israeli HMO while on the ground in Israel, but participants must have or purchase existing medical coverage that provides for coverage in Israel. The insurance provided by Shorashim does not cover pre-existing conditions, follow-up treatment, psychiatric conditions or illness cause by drug or alcohol use or abuse. Participants should contact their local insurance carrier to understand their coverage overseas & to confirm reimbursement policies.
- Participants should consult with their physician regarding any existing medical conditions.
- Necessary medication should be brought for the entire trip, along with a copy of the prescription.
- Participants must indicate all medication currently prescribed, ongoing treatments, & any medical issues that are relevant to a program of this nature on the medical form.
- The following treatments are available in the event of illness or injury.
- Basic first aid is administered by medics accompanying the group.
- Doctors are available to those who need additional care. These doctors can prescribe additional medication as appropriate. They will also refer participants to specialists, when necessary.
- Should urgent medical care be required, participants will immediately be taken to an authorized clinic or to an emergency room. A staff member will accompany participants on any visits to doctors, clinics or hospitals.